Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:16:20 -0800
From:      John Irwin <jdi@ninthwave.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, wolf@cologne.de, se@mi.Uni-Koeln.de
Cc:        Michael Class <michaelc@hpbbse.bbn.hp.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM and quantum disc

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> The Atlas II's will keep returning queue full until we have reduced the tag
> count to 0.  That's why we put in a lower limit of 24.  We don't allow the
> tag count to go below that; we just retry.

Unfortunately the retry code for the NCR controller appears to have problems.
I get a very consistent "page fault in kernel mode" panic when trying to
restore
a dumped filesystem to my Atlas II.  This is with the 3.0-release tag, but
ncr.c
doesn't appear to have changed since then.

My setup:
 <ncr 53c875j fast20 wide scsi> rev 0x04 int a irq 9 on pci0.10.0

 <QUANTUM XP32275W LXY4> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
 Serial Number PCB=2011300002  ; HDA=182710655437
 40.0MB/s transfers (20.0MHz, offset 16, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled

Before the panic occurs, I get the expected series of kernel messages showing
that the tagged openings limit is reduced in stages to 24.  A while later,
during
the file part of the restore, I get the panic.

I've been unable to get a kernel core dump as the panic doesn't complete.
>From the 'ddb' output, the page fault is at 0x34, with the PC in:
    ncr_int_sir    ncr.c    6405    pushl 0x34(%eax)
from (ncr_exception, ncr.c, 5442) from (ncr_intr, ncr.c, 3912)

which implies that the ccb is null.  Unfortunately my knowledge of SCSI &
CAM is insufficient to get much past there without a long climb up the
learning curve.  (Last filesystem hacking was in 4.3 era).

Thanks,

    -- John