Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:20:43 +0100
From:      husyh@hush.com
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   ath0: unable to attach hardware

Hello,

I'm new to FreeBSD. I decided to install 9.0-RELEASE (amd64) on a
machine I have been given, which has a PCI WLAN card installed.After
booting the newly installed system, I ran ifconfig, which however only
shows fxp0, plip0 and lo0.I tried to google for users with similar
problems and follow suggestions made by others in hopes to fix the
problem. In the process, I compiled a new kernel with AH_DEBUG and
ATH_DEBUG and created /boot/loader.conf with the two following
lines:hw.ath.debug=1hw.ath.hal.debug=1
Since I do not have a network connection of the affected machine, I
will only type in the part of the dmesg output which I guess could be
relevant. If you want, I could try to find a USB drive or something
similar to post the whole dmesg output.
ath0:  mem 0xfdee0000-0xfdeeffff irq 16 at device 4.0 on
pci2ar5212ChipTest: address test failed addr: 0x00008000 -
wr:0x00000000 != rd:0xffffffffar5212Attach: hardware self-test
failedath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 14device_attach:
ath0 attach returned 6
I tried a Ubuntu live-CD, which recognised the WLAN card and allowed
me to connect to my network and browse the web.
I don't know what I could do to solve this issue. I'm willing to try
various things, especially since this machine is not in any way in
productive use right now (and there is no valuable data stored
either.)
Being quite proficient in C and C++, I wouldn't mind if your
suggestions involved me looking at some code and modifying it in some
places. However, please keep in mind that, since I'm a new FreeBSD
user, I'm have no idea about the inner workings of the FreeBSD code
(although I had brief look at the ath sources prior to writing this
mail.) Also, I don't know anything about programming hardware, and I
don't know much about IEEE 802.11 either.
I would be very thankful for all kinds of input. Please let me know if
you need further information.