Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:44:06 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

At 04:33 AM 4/20/97 +0100, Stephen Roome wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, dennis wrote:
>> Ok, so ET has a better product, but the other guys are nicer?
>>
>> I'll take that every time.....
>>
>> I will never understand the philosophy of buying inferior products because
>> the salesman are nicer. The woman who sold me my Lexus was a real b*tch,
>> but I love my car.......I even say hello to her when I bring it in!
>
>The product may be inferior, Windows supports my soundcard better than
>FreeBSD, and if I want to play off-the-shelf games I have to use Windows,
>if I want to do some graphic design I'd use windows, because I can't get
>Photoshop for FreeBSD.
>
>To the same end, I'd rather have and SDL card, knowing that it will work
>well enough but maybe not as well as the equivalent etinc card (with the
>same hitachi chipset and 32k of memory ?
>
>Even if the etinc card is better I'll buy SDL, because I know they are
>helpful and polite. If both do the job, why not chose on who is the nicer
>bloke, especially considering either could go wrong and I'd prefer to
>talk to helpful support staff.

Of course "helpful" implies that they know the answers to your questions...
so as long as  you dont ask them anything too complicated, I guess you'll
be all right. Of course, they didnt write the driver for FreeBSD, so how can
they help you to solve real problems when they couldn't even write a driver
for their own product?

Of course, if our product was less expensive and we took VISA  you'd be
singing a different toon, but your reasoning sounds good! :-)

Dennis