Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:54:19 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] Ports tree migration to Subversion

Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> responded:

> To correct a misapprehension: although many years ago pkgsrc and
> FreeBSD ports shared common ancestry, it is not fair to say that
> pkgsrc is their "version".  pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports have different
> goals, and to that purpose, pkgsrc has been through multiple major
> rewrites and no longer even vaguely resembles FreeBSD ports.  As
> well, the FreeBSD ports infrastructure has evolved substantially.

> IIUC pkgsrc's major goal is to run on as many OSes as possible, and
> to that end has to do a tremendous amount of work to evade those
> limitations.  We don't have that problem, nor the bootstraping problems
> that are associated.

> I'm sure there are many other places where we have diverged.

> mcl

pkgsrc is NetBSD's version of FreeBSD ports framework in that it plays the same role in NetBSD, even if the infrastructures have greatly diverged.

Nothing like buildlink3.mk in FreeBSD ports.

But I see partial resemblances in the directory structures of pkgsrc and FreeBSD ports framework.

Most of the base system of *BSD would be packages in Linux.  This poses great difficulty porting a BSD package-management system to Linux, as pkgsrc has tried to do.  What to do with coreutils, util-linux, udev and now systemd?

Tom