Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:21:18 +0200
From:      Carles =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F3mez?= <carlesgo@mat.upc.es>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>, paul@freebsd.org, joerg@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        teljpa@mat.upc.es, acalveras@mat.upc.es
Subject:   Problems in debugging kernel crash dumps

Dear sirs,

I am trying to debug kernel crash dumps with my FreeBSD 3.2 as explained
in chapter 23, section 1 from the FreeBSD Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html. This is because I have
added new code to the TCP/IP stack implementation, and my new kernel
crashes.

I have some problems in trying to debug these kernel crashes and I hope
that maybe you could help me (many thanks).

What I do is the following:

1.- Configure and create the new kernel (config file is NEWKERNEL) with
the "-g" option
1.1.- #cd /sys/i386/conf
1.2.- # /usr/sbin/config -g NEWKERNEL
1.3.- cd ../../compile/NEWKERNEL
1.4.- #make depend
1.5.- #make
1.6.- #cp kernel kernel.debug
1.7.- #strip -g kernel
1.8.- #make install
1.9.- #reboot

2.- After booting the new kernel, I use the "dumpon" command in order to
specify which device is going to be used to dump to. First I look for
the swap device name, which is /dev/wd0s1b.
2.1.- #cat /etc/fstab
2.2.- #dumpon -v /dev/wd0s1b

After that, the following message appears on screen:
      dumpon: crash dumps to /dev/wd0s1b (0, 131073)

Then, I execute the operations that bring the kernel to a crash. Then,
the "page fault" message appears on screen. After that, another message
appears on screen, which tells that the "dump" operation has   finished
successfully.

After rebooting, your handbook tells that the following steps must be
followed:

# fsck -p
# mount -a -t ufs
# savecore -N /kernel.panicked /var/crash
# exit

I use those commands, but after typing the "savecore -N ...", the
following message appears on screen:

savecore: /kernel.panicked : nlist: no such file or directory
savecore: /kernel.panicked : _time_second not in timelist

Well, it seems like the /kernel.panicked file or directory hasn't been
created. Obviously, when I run "gdb -k", the following commands have no
effect:

exec-file /var/crash/kernel.0
core-file /var/crash/vmcore.0

Do you have any idea about any mistake I am making, or any command I am
not using correctly?

Many, many thanks

Carles Gomez Montenegro
Polytechnic University of Catalonia