Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 11:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WEP keys for an driver

It doesn't matter to me which version gets used - I just need the
capability to set the WEP keys.

Some comments on your code:
- WEP keysare variable length from 5-13 bytes, you should just check for
>=5 & <=13 (it seems odd, but I have seen networks that use the odd
sizes).

- In an_setkeys() you allow 28 characters, the error message says 18,
but really only 13 are significant.

- The AN_RXMODE_LAN_MONITOR_CURBSS was a good catch - I never tested
that one.

- The authentication handling in ancontrol is in error: there is no
AN_AUTH_TYPE_EXCLUDE_UNENCRYPTED bit.  I should have added constants
for the correct values for the authentication type.

  0x000x - no encryption
  0x010x - full encryption
  0x030x - mixed cell (allow unencrypted)

despite what's in the driver, bit 2 (0x0004) is not used.  The bits as
defined by Aironet engineering:

#define AN_AUTHTYPE_PRIVACY_IN_USE 0x0100
#define AN_AUTHTYPE_ALLOW_UNENCRYPTED 0x0200

I would like to see my structure changes checked in - there are an
error or two and some interesting new elements in there.  In some more
recent radio firmware, they provide normalized RSSI, and the IP
address of the base station.  There are also a few other things hinted
at in there that some may find interesting.  I should however add in
some more constants.

I didn't provide patches to ancontrol as you did, but I find ancontrol
is getting way too nasty with its switches.  Your patches look fine
to me except that I'd really like to see a better way to specify
volatile vs. persistent keys.

dave c

--
Dave Cornejo @ Dogwood Media, Fremont, California
  "There aren't any monkeys chasing us..." - Xochi