Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 02:51:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sshd and pam authentication problems on Release-5.0 standard build

Hi,
Maybe I am missing something but I have been trying
for 2 weeks to log in to my FreeBSD 5.0 server.

The machine's sshd and pam are unmodified from the
release-5.0 build.   I have also put the same build
onto my laptop which display's exactly the same
problem.

Starting sshd with the -d option I get failed
authentication messages which appear to be caused by
PAM.

I have searched google many times to see if I can find
a solution but I can find no refferences to this
problem which I find very puzzling as this is (as far
as I can tell) a bog standard release build.

Can anybody help?  It would be nice to be able to
debug   PAM at least.  But best of all would be if
someone could tell me what I have done wrong in the
config.

Thanks

Tom Brown