Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:24:42 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
To:        "alex@potemkin.co" <alex@potemkin.co>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-virtualization@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Actual status of Docker (ready for production?)

alex@potemkin.co wrote this message on Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 08:13 +0000:
> ???I'm trying to understand an actual status of Docker / podman to check if I can pick FreeBSD as a platform for the application servers running pre-packaged apps inside Docker.
>
> ???
>
> ???I've tried to google things, but I'm getting controversial information here:
>
> ???- wiki (https://wiki.freebsd.org/Docker) says things doesn't actually works since around 2019-2022
>
> ???- ports seems to contain Docker (https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/docker/) and it seems to be regularly updated
>
> ???- there doesn't seem to be any discussion in this maillist lately, which makes me thing it's either dead or very much alive =)
>
> ???
>
> ???Any real-life Docker usage feedback would be much appreciated!
>
> ???I'm considering production servers, would love to make it on FreeBSD as opposed to Linux, but if it will be crashing / throwing errors and/or won't just work out of the box, like it does on (Debian/Ubuntu) Linux, I will be in trouble.

Significant progress has been made in the last year or two.

I don't have any specific guides, but, runj network is working:
https://samuel.karp.dev/blog/2022/12/docker-style-networking-for-freebsd-jails-with-runj/

Also, podman is apparently working:
https://medium.com/@dfr/oci-containers-for-freebsd-512a6df2bc85

which should get you what you need, ask podman is OCI compliant and
mostly compatible w/ docker, see:
https://soc.crashed.org/objects/2d51da12-7262-4576-bf53-0ea6a61d0da0

The last message is on the dev version of FreeBSD, I'm not sure if it
will run on 13 if you need it to run on a RELEASE, but it likely should
work.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579