Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:45:08 -0500
From:      Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

At 09:26 AM 12/26/2001 -0800, you wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Keith J wrote:
>
> > Well gee Tom.... if one end doesn't respond to negotiation... are you
> saying
> > the smart end will force a speed or duplex that can't possibly work? Lets
> > say I have an old 10Mbs ONLY card... are you declaring that it gets toasted
> > by auto-negotiate every single time?
>
>   If the 10Mbps card is set to manual full-duplex, and the switch is set
>to auto-negotiate, the switch will set itself to half, creating a duplex
>mismatch problem (and about 1 to 7% packet loss).  Both ends must be set
>to auto-negotiate, or both ends must be set to manual.  That is the way it
>works.

This is a pretty silly, uninformed response.  First, just off the top, it
doesn't make any sense.  What if you have a "dumb" auto-negotiating
switch?  I have such a switch, a Linksys EtherFast II 16port 10/100.  There
is no way to tell the switch what setting any of the ports should be in,
nor have I ever needed such an option.

The switch has never failed to negotiate the correct setting with whatever
is plugged into it, nor has it ever had a problem matching whatever I
assign to an interface I have plugged into it.  This is evidenced by the
fact that the switch has two LEDs per port.  The first one is either green
for 100Mbit or orange for 10Mbit, the second is on if the port is
full-duplex, off if it's half-duplex.

I think perhaps you should stop repeating yourself and go read up on how
autonegotiation actually works.. what you've been saying is only true (in
my experience) if you're plugging one NIC directly into another via a
crossover cable.