Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:10:25 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DELL D610 lid and backlight

Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org> writes:
>>
>>> 	I have a problem if I enable acpi on my dell d610.  The backlight
>>> 	goes off and doesn't come back on if the lid is closed.  This is
>>> 	independent of whether debug.acpi.disabled="lid" is set or not.
>>>
>> For the Dell X1,
>>
>> enable acpi_video in loader.conf: /boot/loader.conf with:
>> acpi_video_load="YES"
>>
>> add this to /etc/devd.conf:
>>
>> # lid open/close events
>> notify 10 {
>> 	match "system"		"ACPI";
>> 	match "subsystem"	"Lid";
>>         action "/etc/rc.lid $notify";
>> };
>>
>> /etc/rc.lid is:
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> # deal with lid switch events
>>
>> if [ x$1 = x0x00 ]; then
>> 	logger -t Lid Closed at `date`
>> 	sysctl hw.acpi.video.out0.active=0
>> else
>> 	logger -t Lid Opened at `date`
>> 	sysctl hw.acpi.video.out0.active=1
>> fi
>>

> 	Thanks.  That helped.  I've got "shutdown -p now" back now as
> 	well.  The back light was more important than power management
> 	so I had disabled acpi between between sessions.
>
> 	Standby still has the same symptoms.  I added
> 	hw.acpi.video.out0.active=1 to sysctl.conf in case it was rebooting
> 	so it would restore the back light on the way up.  This doesn't
> 	appear to be the case.

If you have debugging enabled - it might be going into the debugger.
Check caps lock - does it work?  If so, try doing a 'call doadump' and
hit enter - does the hd run for a while?  If it does, when it stops
running, type 'restart' and maybe it will reboot.

On my D810 (which is the same system as the D610 I believe), I can get
it to suspend, but resuming makes the system boot up like it had been
turned off.

I have these settings in /etc/sysctl.conf:

hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE
debug.cpufreq.lowest=500
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=1
hw.acpi.video.crt0.active=1

And have played with these two settings:
#hw.acpi.reset_video=1
#hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1

I also have this in /boot/loader.conf, but can't recall why:

hw.apic.enable_extint=1

Eric