Date:      Sat, 06 Oct 2012 08:15:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [CHANGE PROPOSAL] Moving WWW from pkg-descr to Makefile

--------------enig3408BD5D7A24867A83264411

On 06/10/2012 03:07, Doug Barton wrote:
>>  * speedup make describe avoiding using grep to get the informations (=
make
>> >    describe itself does not need speed but make index heavily use it=
 and this
>> >    will definitly benefit from speed up)

> Agreed, but there are other ways to speed up 'make describe,' and tools=

> like ports-mgmt/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex are a much better solution where
> "create an up to date INDEX quickly" is a real need.

Putting the WWW information into the port Makefile means that portindex
only has to deal with about half as many files (ie. down from about
46,000 to 23,000) to do an incremental update or cache init.  I'm pretty
sure that's going to speed things up.  Maybe not hugely, as the vast
majority of the time portindex takes is down to the 200ms or so it
requires for make(1) to parse each of the Makefiles.

Also, if you'ld like a single fairly readable file for each port with a
summary of what it does, portindex did grow the capability to generate
the README.html files (as in 'make readmes') quite recently.  It
generates pretty nasty HTML at the moment (just like 'make readmes'
does) but if there's any interest, I'd be happy for it to produce
whatever format people want.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20