Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 19:28:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Steve Chapin <chapin@cs.virginia.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiprocessor FreeBSD?

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Steve Chapin wrote:

> I scanned the FAQ but didn't see an answer to this question.
>
> Does FreeBSD support multprocessor (dual, quad) Pentium boxes?  Those
> that comply with the Intel MPS Spec?  I'm looking for something that
> will run on an ALR quad box.

Yes FreeBSD does support SMP (with Intel cpus only however).  If you want
to use it you'll need to use the -current branch, which often isn't
guaranteed to be as stable as -stable.  If you're looking for something to
run, Linux (2.0.x and 2.1.x), Windows NT, and Sun's Solaris all support
SMP computers.

Linux: The Microsoft Windows(tm) of the Unix(tm) world.

- alex