Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 1995 15:20:51 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs), j@uriah.heep.sax.de, mango@communique.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EISA and FreeBSD

>> >The eisa code is orphaned and defunct (to the best of my knowledge).
>> >Simply declare it as isa.
>>
>> I'm in the process of bringing it back from the dead and cleaning it up.
>> I hope to have it functional again in the comming week.
>
>can I help?
>It worked fine, except that it couldn't setup the interrupts for the devices..
>(it thought it did but they didn't work)
>
>it should be set up so that EISA devices have TEXT_SET or DATA_SET entries for
>their config lines, so that mere inclusion of the driver
>makes the EISA code aware of it's existance..
>(i.e the file eisadevs.c should go away)
>
>julian

I agree that eisaconf.c should go away, but I think that the tables the
eisa code uses should be gerneated by config.  The problem with how the
pci code and the eisa code deal with devices is that they can't be
disabled by userconfig, and eisa/pci devices can take unit numbers
reservered for isa devices that use the same driver.  I already have
some plans to clean up the tables that config generates to make them
more extensible and then have both pci and eisa devices use entries
generated by config.

As to the EISA code, I just don't like the way it does its probing.  I'm
changing the probe routine so that it passess the id strings to the
probe routine of each installed driver until it finds a match (just like
pci).  I'll also be adding shared interrupt support and have the drivers
explicitly register their interrupt handlers.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM