Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:35:00 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        "Julian C. Dunn" <julian.dunn@Matrox.COM>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading - such a thing in FreeBSD?

Are you using the -alias option with ppp? If so thats basically the same
thing as IP masquerading, or NATD, network address translation deamon. For
the linux box I think you need to install/setup IP masquerade...

At 11:04 AM 12/23/99 -0500, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
>This is more a curiousity question than a problem, but I'm hoping someone can
>give me an answer nonetheless. Is there such a thing as IP masquerading in
>FreeBSD? Or is it done automatically if I set a machine to be the default
>gateway for the network? At home I have the typical setup as follows:
>
>   [dialup] <-- PPP --> [FreeBSD box] <-- ethernet --> [Linux box]
>
>and the FreeBSD box is the gateway for the local network. From my Linux box I
>can already access the outside world, even though (obviously) it doesn't
have a
>real IP. Does this mean FreeBSD is automagically doing IP masquerading? My
>friend asked me this because he has the same setup, but his gateway box is
also
>a Linux box, and he [thinks he] has to explicitly install masquerading on it.
>I'm wondering if that is necessary at all, or if he could just set the
clients
>to use the Linux box as a gateway like I did with FreeBSD, and be done
with it.

>- Julian
>
>--
>Julian C. Dunn <julian.dunn@matrox.com>
>ASIC Validation Group, Matrox Graphics Inc.
>Tel: (905) 944-4900 x7006 Fax: (905) 944-4909
>
>istream >> ostream >> "We all scream for ice cream";

Jonathan E. Lyons
parrothd@midwest.net			Nucleus Consulting
ICQ # 14226912			www.nucleusconsulting.com
Cell # 773-251-1967			A+, MCSE, CCNA, FreeBSD!