Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 15:49:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd help (fwd)

> >pritchet@scsn.net writes:
> >
> > Is there a way to make the username/password longer than 8 characters? I'd
> > like @ least 12. I'm using 2.0-release....
>
> roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert) writes:
>
> The 8 chars limit came from DES. If you want to use longer passwords,you
> must not use the seperate securedist (US version) but only the builtin
> scheme which use MD5. Beware that when using the MD5 version, you're
> not compatible any more with the rest of the world...

I think he really wanted longer usernames.  Many Unix systems allow more than
8 character user names.  One of the systems I badly want to convert/trash/
get-rid-of/burn/eliminate has 10 character user names.  It is the last
SYSV era machine left here.

I am almost done with the changes that I think need to be made for this.  I
am blowing it out to 16 characters - why not live a little?  Its FreeBSD!

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net