Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:38:36 -0700
From:      Scott MacFiggen <smurf@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Nexgen chip and freebsd support

I just got though discussing this on the freebsd-questions list and
it seems Freebsd does not have any support for the Nexgen nX586
chip.

My question, it is possible to get someone clued to hack in support
for the Nexgen chip?

I was looking at the Linux patch for nexgen
chip supprt and it does not seem all that complicated. FreeBSD
works fine on the chip when configured for a 386 but from
looking at the linux patch, it implies that this causes
a performance hit because some of the chips features are not
being taken advantage of.

Next question, is the above true? Is the chip being underutilzed
having the kernel being configured for a 386?

I am currently working as a contracter at Nexgen as a sysadmin so
I might be able to get support from the inside if someone is interested
in working on this.

	-Scott