Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:42:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Subject:   	tools

Just to mention to doc@ people that sometimes Release aligned users will want
to have access to current handbook docs & not just release docs ...

EG my scenario, presumably not uncommon:
	I run latest release,
	but wanted to read newer current docs before buying new hardware.

So a friend kindly forwarded me this:
------
> The tools have been moved to the ports collection.  For an
> equivalent setup, install:
>
>   textproc/iso8879         (ISO character entities)
>   textproc/linuxdoc        (linuxdoc DTDs)
>   textproc/docbook         (DocBook DTDs)
>   textproc/jade            (SGML parser and DSSSL processor)
>   textproc/sgmlformat      (the old sgmlfmt command and instant(1))
>
> Then you can zap /usr/bin/(sgmlfmt|sgmls|instant) and
> /usr/share/sgml/* to avoid confusion.
>
> bsd.sgml.mk lingers because I have not expended the five minutes
> necessary to rewrite the Makefiles for the handbook and FAO.
> Once I do that, bsd.sgml.mk will vanish.   BUT...if people are
> still using bsd.sgml.mk for their own projects...hmm...how best
> to deal with this?
>
> - - -john
--------

So I looked on the 2.2.2 cd: /ports/textproc :
	Makefile        isearch/        pkg/            unroff/
	README.html     ispell/         rman/

Then cd'd to current (well, OK, stable) ports,
started fetching some distfiles, then one wasn't there,
& figured something else would be bound to break,
so gave up, as I was vearing too far off track.

My objective had been to browse the docs off line locally,
well, not as easy as it looks, perhaps I should have tried webcopy
targetted at www.freebsd.org or mirror, but too late now,
So I completed reading the old release stuff instead.

Anyway, as above, just thought I'd mention that sometimes a Release aligned
person would find it handy to have access to current docs.
I guess it's just an unfortunate time to attempt that, as textproc/
is being extended;  Perhaps by next release, enough standard
docu tools may be on CD, to support formatting of the then even newer
docu. sources...

I guess by then instructions on how to format the handbook with ports
tools will be in the handbook, maybe taking John's mail above as a
starter ?  ... I just looked through 2.2.2 handbook index,
doesn's seem to be anythin there on formatting the handbook,
but not suprised, standard src/ make etc for 2.2.2)
but I guess now you'r unbundling,  you'll want to add a section ?
(if it isn't already on current)

I'm not on doc@ so feel free to
	cc: jhs@freebsd.org

I'm guessing that John above, was John Fieber so I've done a
	cc: John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>

BTW this mail is not meant to be in any way critical,
neither is it meant as volunteering to write that formatting section :-)

Julian
---
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org		http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/