Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:04:05 -0800
From:      Umesh Krishnaswamy <umesh@juniper.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, umesh@juniper.net
Subject:   Defeating SYN flood attacks

Hi Folks,

I wanted to double-check which version of FreeBSD (if any) can address a
SYN flooding DoS attack. The latest FreeBSD sources (tcp_input.c and
ip_input.c) do not seem to have any code to address such an attack. Maybe I am
missing something.

So if you folks can enlighten me on whether or how to handle the SYN attack from
within the kernel, I would appreciate it. I am aware of ingress filtering; while
that can help attacks from randomized IP addresses, it will fail in the case of
an attack from a spoofed trusted IP address. Hence the desire to look into the
kernel for a fix.

Thanks.
Umesh.