From:      "Alexey V. Neyman" <avn@any.ru>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>, "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)

hi, there!

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Roelof Osinga wrote:

>"Alexey V. Neyman" wrote:

>> I found the following sequence to be rather fail-safe:
>> 3.5.1-R -> 4.2-R -> 4.3-S, I tested it a few times and it have not failed
>> me.
>
>Not only that, looks like it's the only way to do it. Going from 3.4-S
>to RELENG_4 fails. Repeatedly. Even when starting from a clean slate.
>It'll fail on the same spot. This one:

Not only that, even 3.5.1-RELEASE fails to compile world for RELENG_4.
What about staying insecure for a few hours of make world on 4.2-RELEASE,
if this worries you, you may turn on firewall, either enabling only
trusted addresses or disabling all services in question, which were found
to be insecure in 4.2-RELEASE (ftpd, ntpd...).

# Alexey