Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 16:04:12 +0100
From:      Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>
To:        Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle,

Rasputin wrote:

> * Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk> [010510 15:30]:
> > Mike Meyer wrote:
> > >
> > > Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> types:
>
> > Remember the purpose of MySQL: It is a fast, cheap and cheerful database
> > system for those who need something meatier than MSQL but not as fat as
> > PostgreSQL.
>
> Fair enough, but in that case it's hardly a replacement for Oracle.

To replace Oracle, PostgreSQL would be a better choice... However, for
my tasks, it's JDBC driver is less featureful than I would like. Someone
needs to complete it, and write the XA transaction stuff too. THEN it
would suddenly become popular.

> > It has it's niche. Just because it lacks feature XYZ doesn't mean it's
> > completely useless....
>
> Well, half the Net seem to use it these days, so you're right there.

It's name rolls off the tounge easier than PostgreSQL.... Is there an
official FAQ as to how to say it? I've always said it as "Post Gre S Q
L".

> It's worth pointing out that:
>
>  PostgreSQL is BSD-licensed, whereas MySQL has
> the G** Virus.

True... But there again, I started using MySQL from before it had the
GPL license. IMO, that was done more for "marketing" than any other
reason.

> PostgreSQL seems to hsve a better reputation for stability, but MySQL
> is much more popular. for some inexplicable reason.
>
> I could draw parallels between 2 operating systems here, but I won't.

Well - the reason why I have been using MySQL - due to it's simplicity
and lower goals, it is much easier to hack and add in a little feature
here or there. There's no stored produre support but manually writing
one in isn't such a big problem.

--
ANTONY T CURTIS                     Tel: +44 (1635) 36222
Abacus Polar Holdings Ltd           Fax: +44 (1635) 38670