Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:58:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Christoph Haas <chris@acme1.ruhr.de>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update 2.1-STABLE -> 2.1.5-RELEASE

> >> Ok, now that 2.1.5-BETA is out, there is still one
> question left: Will >> there be an easy way to updgrade from
> 2.1-STABLE to 2.1.5-RELEASE ?
> >
> > Umm, 2.1-STABLE *isn't* a release and is (was) an ong oing version.
> > Since 2.1-STABLE existed for a *long* time and not a 'checkpoint'
> > release it would be very difficult to provide a singl e 'upgrade'
> > target given your constraints below.
>
>  Ummm.. i disagree.. many of us .. who don't have the time, energy, or
>  bandwidth or desire to run the -stable tree have stood by with the
>  2.1-RELEASE just as it came from the CD. And I for one would like to
>  see an upgrade path as opposed to a re-installation.

As I understand it, there *IS* an upgrade path from 2.1R.  Jordan would
know more.  However, the original poster asked for a CTM upgrade from
2.1-STABLE -> 2.1.5, and there isn't any '2.1-STABLE' release to upgrade
from.  Also, creating a 'CTM' diff between 2.1R and 2.1.5 would be
*HUGE*, probably bigger than downloading the entire release, so if you
want the new sources you're more than welcome to download the entire new
release and do a 'make world' and then hand-upgrade the /etc files by
hand.  This is essentially what the 2.1R -> 2.1.5 'upgrade' would do
anyway.

Nate