Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 22:43:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

As Garrett Wollman wrote:

> > 	ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
>
> 1) You have a bad combination of IP address and netmask, which overlaps
>    something already configured in the system.  Use the correct
>    numbers.

193.175.26.94 --> 193.175.26.65

netmask is 0xffffffe0, the primary ether interface is 193.175.26.33.

Indeed, there's been a second machine using the .94 local address (but
with a different remote) at the same time, but this used to work all
the time before, since the interface are POINTOPOINT.

Attempting to login via pppd a second time didn't work either.  Same
problem, but the pppd logs something like ``ioctl(SIOCAIFADDR):
Address already exists''.

Btw., logging in with another address (i've got assigned two, for
different machines) works.  Dunno if it will work twice without
rebooting, this is just my first attempt.

> 2) The old route (or perhaps interface address) for the address you
>    are configuring did not get deleted when it was last dropped.  Make
>    sure to delete it.

The interfaces have been properly deleted.  ifconfig -a shows only
entries for currently active if's.  All dead if's are one-liners.

Btw., is FreeBSD 2.0.5 w/ TCP extensions supposed to communicate
with FreeBSD 2.0.5 w/o them?  Seems that it didn't work. :-(

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/