Date:      Sun, 01 Jul 2012 23:09:00 +0400
From:      "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org, alter@alter.org.ua, bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/156770: [ipfw] [dummynet] [patch]: performance improvement and several extensions

On 01.07.2012 23:09, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 03:54:35PM +0000, melifaro@freebsd.org wrote:
>> Synopsis: [ipfw] [dummynet] [patch]: performance improvement and several extensions
>>
>> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-ipfw->melifaro
>> Responsible-Changed-By: melifaro
>> Responsible-Changed-When: Sun Jul 1 15:54:17 UTC 2012
>> Responsible-Changed-Why:
>> Take
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=156770
>
> Alex,
Not sure if you're speaking to me, since both submitter and I are
Alexanders :) However I'll try to answer some of the questions.
> please any ipfw-related patch through me before committing.
>
> On this specific PR i have some comments and several concerns.
>
> First, as mentioned in the thread, some specific features (e.g. ftags)
> might be of interest, but the fact that this is a single monolitic patch
> make it hard to apply and review. Especially, at least judging from the
> description, i believe some of the changes replicate features that
> were already inserted around 2009 and later (in then-head).
We already got private discussion resulting in preparation of some most
interesting (at least to me) parts of code to be split into different
patches and remade to work on -current.

Particularly I'm interested in rule indexes mostly.

> On the negative side:
> - documentation on new features is completely absent. Just a brief mention
>    in the manpage of ftag/funtag, a short comment in a C source code.
>
> - the way some features are implemented is through adding new IOCTLs,
>    which is the wrong way of doing things. In the 2009 rewrite (ipfw3)
>    i tried to use a single ioctl which carries tagged messages
>    for the various requests (similar to the microinstructions which make
>    up a rule) so the code is easier to extend without breaking ABIs.
>    Please follow the new style if you need to add commands.
IP_FW3 is already used in ipv6 tables code, so there are some ipfw(8)
and kernel code to reuse.