Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2011 15:40:35 +0000
From:      Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XenServer?

Ivan Voras wrote:
> On 18 February 2011 15:06, Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com> wrote:
>
>> Performance seems to be acceptable. There's a gotcha with PF, which someone
>> else mentioned in this list recently. One has to disable tcp.tso to get
>> decent throughput.
>>
>> Disabling it enabled a colleague who is currently in Africa to go from
>> stalled..2KB/s sftp connections to 70KB/s.
>
> I hope that 70 kB/s is due to him being in Africa and not Xen+FreeBSD
> performance :) I'm thinking of using this on a moderately loaded web
> server (cca 5 GB/day traffic).

Definitely - I can upload files (via sftp) to this VM at ~90% my home
connection upstream, over a UDP VPN.

Also, a few weeks ago while setting this up, on local LAN tests it
managed to push 400-600mbit/s (iperf) without a lot of tuning.

Back when I ran the iperf test PF wasn't enabled yet, so that might
explain how it managed to get to that (altough I haven't tested the
other poster's assertion that the performance problem only manifests
with PF on)

In my experience NetBSD tends to perform better under Xen but that could
be because HVM+PV vs PV. Also a NetBSD PV domU is limited to a single
CPU, while with FreeBSD HVM+PV you can use many vcpus.

I haven't tested with high vcpu counts, but in this particular VM, it's
been running happily with 2 VCPUs and no noticeable problems. No panics,
   no noticeable performance problems (after the tso fix) and certainly
not the famous 'time went backwards' problem.