Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 07:53:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org, ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-stable
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc

> Hi
>
> Our mail box just died with:
>
> root@mail:/var/crash> gdb -k kernel vmcore.2
> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
> GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
> Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
> IdlePTD 1d5000
> current pcb at 1abd64
> panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
> #0  boot (howto=260) at ../../i386/i386/machdep.c:912
> 912             } else {
> (kgdb) bt

 Welcome to the club :-)

 This is the panic that I have had for several months, which is
duplicated almost every night.

 Rest assured that several people are investigating this at this
time...

 I believe it has something to do with the inode allocation bits in
ffs_valloc().  Others believe some race conditions in vnode allocation
are to blaim, etc...  David Greene is investigating other avenues.

 It seems to me that we are closing in on the issue, if only by
eliminating everything else :-)

	- Dave Rivers -

p.s. I've moved this from freebsd-bugs to freebsd-hackers, where we
     have been discussing the problem for some time.