Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 23:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t not to change size on x86

:Just to clarify, based on Peter's last mail.
:
:The proposal is not to change the size of time_t on x86, merely to
:select a suitable size on new platforms so that we migrate in a
:suitable fashion.
:
:This is fine, and a sensible idea.

    No, the current proposal... the one that has the most support (even if
    you discount me), is that we do not change time_t in 4.x, but in
    5.x we change it to a 64 bit integer on all platforms (including IA32).

    This version has support from several camps.  A bunch of 5.x guys like
    it because it means that all the 64 bit issues can be worked out by
    the larger community running on standard intel platforms.  Other people
    like it because it (obviously) solves the 2038 problem.

    DES and I have allocated time to work on it starting mid-november.
    Nobody else has comitted time yet.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>