Date:      Wed, 05 May 1999 10:03:08 -0400
From:      gkaplan <gkaplan@castle.net>
To:        Net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   modem initialization usr sportster 56k

I have a pnp 56k (X2) internal modem that I am able to use to complete a
serial ppp connection to my isp without problems.

When trying to complete the isp connection under freebsd 2.2.8 the
connection fails at some almost arbitrary point in the dialog. I have
gotten as far as the isp presenting the user menu under telnet; but
results are not predictable. After view appropriate news groups and
other sources I find the suggestion that there is a deficiency in the
modem hardware or software logic that can be overcome by using an
appropriate modem initialization string . WHAT would that string be .