Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2012 17:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        Paul Wootton <casper@caspersworld.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone Tried to use iPXE to boot with iSCSI?

=0A=0A----- Original Message -----=0AFrom: Paul Wootton <casper@caspersworl=
d.co.uk>=0ATo: Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>=0ACc: =0ASent: Thursday,=
 September 20, 2012 4:08 AM=0ASubject: Re: Anyone Tried to use iPXE to boot=
 with iSCSI?=0A=0AOn 09/20/12 01:42, Bill Tillman wrote:=0A> Interesting pr=
oject you've got there. I can't say mine is similar but I do have a machine=
 which I'm using as a router which boots disklessly. Running 8.3-STABLE amd=
64, in fact I just rebuilt the world on both the server which serves this p=
uppy it's OS and the /diskless partition where this puppy get's it's boot u=
p from. Booting by pxe is not an easy thing to do. The docs are terrible an=
d out of synch with the latest versions of the OS. I think there may have b=
een some improvments on that end but it's still kind of a seat of the pants=
 operation. I had several contacts in #FreeBSD on FreeNode who told me they=
 had many diskless servers running yet when pressed for how they did it the=
 answers they gave were vague and ambiguous, that is if they answered at al=
l. I did finally find a site which explained most of it in an almost clear =
manner, but even that site was filled with typos and out of date informatio=
n. The router I've built is great...no disks at all=0A>=A0  and until the r=
eboot a few weeks ago it had been running 24/7 for 276 days...without one f=
ailure. We watch lots of NetFlix movies here, sometimes two or three at a t=
ime with my teenage kids here with their laptops. And I can still enjoy a q=
uick download or two in my lab while all this bandwidth is being served.=0A=
ibe@freebsd.org"=0A=0AHi Bil,,=0A=0AI am actually looking at doing somethin=
g very similar with my soekris box. Currently it boots from a CF card, but =
the card is getting old and I think it is coming to the end of it's life.=
=0A=0ACan you please shed a little light on what you did?=0A=0A=0ACheers=0A=
Paul=0A=0A=0A=0AThis is the website where I found the best and most accurat=
e information on diskless booting. =0A=0Ahttp://www.nber.org/sys-admin/Free=
BSD-diskless.html=0A=0AThe authors appear to have updated this just a=A0few=
 months ago as well. I had=A0trouble with it until I understood what the=A0=
conf/=A0folders were all about. It's easy for a novice to read this and get=
 confused because the authors assume the reader knows as much about it as t=
hey do or they are=A0just lazy hacks like me and don't want to type all the=
 real meat of the setup. I=A0wrote an e-mail to them and explained several =
typos they=A0had in their article in 2010 when I first found this article. =
The guy who replied back was=A0very=A0cool and he thanked me for helping wi=
th some of the corrections. I read lots of other stuff, including the FreeB=
SD handbook but as usual it was=A0not in synch with the newest releases and=
 I couldn't get it working. I'm=A0happy=A0to say that now I have a wonderfu=
l=A0diskless setup which I can update when I want to....I don't think I'm g=
oing to go past=A08.3-STABLE with it. The new 9.x-RELEASE uses a new=A0driv=
e format which has=A0created
 problems=A0for me with the older=A0equipment I have around here. I'm final=
ly throwing out most of the old stuff I've had for years around here. Just =
built two new Windows 7 workstations with i7 Quad cores and 16 GB RAM.=A0Th=
ese older servers are still working fine for me and I plan on using them un=
til they drop.