Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:01:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS: new sample code

> > It ain't going to get done there it's getting done in a layer just below,
> > and in conjunction with, the disk label layer. The disklabel layer notices
> > the bad144 flag and sticks the bad144 'wedge' below itself. the bad144 has
> > no business being lower than that because it doesn't cover other slices.
> > They may have their own badblock handlers.
>
> I don't understand why slices should have any notion of bad blocks.
> The way I see it, a slice is a virtual disk, and virtual disks are
> immaculate.  Bad blocks are a fact of life of the dirty
> representations of our idealized disks.

A slice is a linear array of sectors.  A bad block SLICE layer is
a layer which represents an imperfect linear array of sectors as a
smaller, but perfect, linear array of sectors.

For BSD disklabels, this "media perfection layer" should live at the
same level as a "CCD agregation layer".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---