Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:43:14 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org, msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AARGH!! "dead" Alpha 164SX (Was: Re: OK, any pointers on how to use SRM? :-))

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Well, the problem has been found..  Mike Smith gave me a new graphoil pad
> > to use since the heatsink was taken off for transit..  But the new one was
> > bigger than required and the thought never occurred that it might have been
> > rather conductive and that it was going to short out those 12 capacitors on
> > the top of the CPU surface, which, BTW, were between 3.3V and ground.
>
> "Aargh shit".  I never even thought to check that.

Likewise, it took me 8 hours to realize the first boot for 30 seconds that
I got the first time was with the heatsink off..  Once I realized that, then
I got one of those "Hmm, I wonder if...." kind of feelings and sure enough..

> > It all makes sense now.   "Aargh Shit!" certainly seems appropriate.
> > Anyway, after some careful trimming of the pad, I've now got it running to
> > the point of SRM startup...  (And there was I thinking I'd found a hairline
> > crack in one of the mounts for a component from transit damage in my
> > luggage..)
>
> Whee, happiness!

It seems to run reliably at 533MHz as well.  If the kernel has softupdates
compiled in, all sorts of things fail during boot including sysctl and
sometimes mount_nfs.  If softupdates are active, not just in the kernel,
then 'make world' wedges 5 seconds into the bootstrap build of make.  This
is the same at both 400MHz and 533MHz.  Compiling softupdates out has
resulted in an (apparently) happy system at 533.

The next good question is.. what's up with softupdates? :-]  Hmm.. say,
that NCR controller you gave me, is that the one that was screwing up on
freefall by any chance?

Cheers,
-Peter