Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 10:48:32 +0000
From:      Stuart Henderson <sh@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Query pop3-server of progress

> Sometimes a customer calls support saying he can't get his
> mail from the pop3-server. Often it's just because the progress-meter
> doesn't move very quickly when his mailbox contains an 8MB-attachment
> containing a funny avi a 'friend' has sent him.
>
> We're using qpopper, but wouldn't mind changing if something else
> could provide this.

Something that might be useful, although not an exact answer to
your q. :)

qpopper, unless compiled in server mode, will make a copy of
the mailbox before working on it. That will add some considerable
time to retrieve, particularly on a busy server, particularly
with large attachments. I don't remember how to enable it on
popper (some alternative pop3ds are: cucipop, in ports,
Solar Designer's popa3d, at http://www.openwall.com/popa3d,
neither of those make a copy of the mailbox. others can be
found at http://freshmeat.net/appindex/daemons/pop3.html).