Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:43 EST
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   reinventing vs copying

I'd like to understand better than I do (which is hardly at all) why it
seems (to me) as though all the SMP work is being done without reference
to what other SMP-capable OS's do.

I do understand that code cannot be copied, certainly from the
commercial systems and not even from Linux without complying with the
GPL, but what prevents the borrowing of ideas or even the discussion
of how common problems are handled by other, seemingly working,
implementations?  Is it that the information is not available, or has it
been the experience that the other systems don't really solve the
problems that are showing up?  Or is it that a more-or-less clean-room
implementation is being attempted to avoid even the suspicion of theft?

Barney Wolff  <barney@databus.com>