Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2008 07:29:19 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        bfriedman@emax.ca, freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Smart Array 6404

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 09:05:06AM -0700, Ulf Zimmermann wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 11:47:13AM -0400, Barry Friedman wrote:
> > I am trying to update the firmware on a Smart Array 6404 attached to
> > a DL380 G4 and the only upgrades available from HP are Linux.
> > Specifically CP008272.scexe from the HP website (http://tinyurl.com/5ppo98)
> > would seem to do the job.
> >
> > My question is whether this will work on a freebsd 7.0 system with linux
> > compatibility enabled and will not damage the array, and if not what
> > other options are there for getting a usable upgrade.
> >
> > I hope to hear back from other list subscribers who have experience with
> > this problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Download the firmware update cd, it has a complete linux environment
> it boots (unfortunatly) including X11, etc.

Don't forget a mouse, it is not optional!

We have never had problems with the upgrade system, except for one
Windows 2000 machine which keeps hanging now. But I blame the
software running on it for it (It's the Cisco Call Manager, which
does do strange things to the system). The other two machines with
the same software kept working fine. The other 40+ machines are
fine all the time.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org