Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 13:28:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Zhiui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux kiobuf stuff...

While looking at Linux 2.4 code, I see the kiobuf stuff. They implement it
because Linux 2.2 lacks raw device support.  I am wondering whether
FreeBSD has a similar mechanism already in place. My reasonings:

(1) FreeBSD's buffer is variable sized while Linux's buffer is fixed
sized. So in the case of FreeBSD, a buffer can easily be associated with
many pages.  The kiobuf in Linux seems to limit the max I/O to 64KB.

(2) We have physical buffers, they can be used separately (like in
physio() and swapping) or they can be built on top of regular buffers
(like in clustering I/O).

Thanks for any enlightment.

-Zhihui