Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 19:43:55 +0100
From:      Aled Morris <aledm@routers.co.uk>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Panasonic OD/CD-ROM drive

As you may know, Panasonic make a combined rewriteable optical drive and
CD-ROM reader, SCSI, which sells in the UK for (equivalent) US$600.  Optical
media hold 650MB for US$60.  I'm sure these are expensive compared to native
US pricing, but that's life.  Slow too, with 165ms seek (compared to Jaz 12ms,
but I imagine only using it for backups).

Before I spend money on one of these, can anyone tell me if it is likely
to work?  i.e. will it work as a SCSI CD-ROM?  Which device would I use?
sd(4)?  cd(4)?

Aled
--
telephone +44 973 207987                        O-