Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 20:33:10 -0700
From:      "Bill Jones" <bjones@polestar.org>
To:        "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org, ru@FreeBSD.ORG, niteskyguy@yahoo.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld fails

On 8/14/2002 at 5:42 PM Kent Stewart wrote:

>Bill Jones wrote:
>
>> I hadn't really noticed before, but the handbook appears to recommend
>> (based on the order of the sections) that building the world should
>> be done in single user.  Does anyone really do that anymore with
>> modern fast CPUS?  Is there a reason I'm missing against building
>> both the kernel and the world in multi-user mode, other than speed?
>
>No, it tells you that you may have to boot to single user mode to do
>the installworld. That is something you really want to do anyway
>because it tests your new kernel before you fully commit your system
>to the new arrangement.

Yes, I know how to test a new kernel.  I was demonstrating how the handbook=
 creates a step-by-step that somewhat deviates from normal use, thus --

	20.4.1 Read Updating
		Yes, this really should be first.
	20.4.2 Check /etc/make.conf
		Seen enough people shoot themselves in the foot
		to know why this is here!
	20.4.3 Update files in /etc
		Those pesky group problems.. fair enough.
	20.4.4 Drop to single user mode
		WHOA!
		A little premature, eh?  We haven't built
		anything yet.
	20.4.5 Remove /usr/obj
		If we HAD built something, it's gone now.
	20.4.6 Recompile the source
		Aha... make buildworld, finally.
	20.4.7 Compile and install a new kernel
		Make buildkernel and make installkernel in one step.
	20.4.8 Reboot into single user mode
		We're already in single user mode, though rebooting
		helps that pesky kernel test.
	20.4.9 Install the new system binaries
		Make installworld here
	20.4.10 Update files
		Mergemaster lies here
	20.4.11 Update /dev
	20.4.12 Update /stand
	20.4.13 Reboot
		Hooray, back to multi-user

Interestingly enough, under 20.4.15 (Questions), you'll find "How can I=
 speed up making the world?"  Number 1 on the list?  Run in single user=
 mode.  If we'd followed the instructions as presented here, we would have=
 already done that and had no speed increase.  Also missing from the=
 question "What do I do if something goes wrong?" is how to revert back to=
 your old kernel if something goes wrong after you reboot to single user.
---