Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 23:51:31 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@misty.eyesbeyond.com>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk on alpha

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 05:36:41PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> What are the outstanding issues?

The main issue is to get invokeNative_alpha.s written.  I'm also not sure
how well the Alpha context switching code is tested, so there may be
additional Alpha assembler clean up required there.  After that there may
well be additional endian/64 bit issues, but hopefully they will be minor.

> I've read on http://kjkoster.org/java/content/newarch.jsp that
> invokeNative_alpha.s needs to be done.
> Is this still true?

Very much so.

> What is the best jdk version to start with?

Probably 1.3 if you have a way of bootstrapping it.  1.4 is going to quite
difficult as Alexey has indicated since you have to basically rewrite
the MI part of the HotSpot VM for alpha.

I can offer some advice in terms of bootstrapping and possibly patches
if there is no 1.3 that will run under emulation on the Alpha.

> I've also read on that page that we need a working jdk to bootstrap
> with an example on how to do this with help from another machine.
> Are there any ideas on how to handle this from ports?
> E.g. can we distribute a native bootstrap jdk binary like it's done
> for modula?

Yes, we have legal approval to do this if the binary is compliant.
FreeBSD/i386 is compliant, so FreeBSD/alpha should be able to be if
someone (e.g., you :) is prepared to work on it.

Note that I have an alpha ready and able to run the tests :).

It sounds like you're very serious about this effort, in which case
it may be beneficial for you (and the porting team) if you are able
to work from the 1.3 repository rather than the current 1.3 patches.
Please get in touch with me if you're interested in repository
access for this project.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org