Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:53:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        "Ing. Fernando Inukai" <finukai@aguamodelo.com.mx>
Cc:        Frebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ethernet adapter

> I have a FreeBSD box for internal email running with a NE2000 ethernet card (ed1) but I want to change it for a 3com 10/100M (xl0) when I did it I modified the file /etc/rc.conf for the card to have the same IP than the old one. Everything in the server looks fine, ifconfig -a  tells me that the IP is ok but it the other computers do not "see it"

Check that the card is using the correct media.

If you do an ifconfig xl0 you should see something like the following for
your xl0 interface:

xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 00:50:da:44:11:ad
	media: 100baseTX <half-duplex>
	supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

The media section is what you should be looking at, and you should select
the correct media and mediaopt based upon what the card is connected to.

For example, my 3c905C using xl0 is connected to a dual speed 10/100 hub
on half duplex.  The following will manually put my card into this mode:

ifconfig xl0 media 100baseTX mediaopt half-duplex

You may find that the card has not detected the correct mode, and you may
have to set this manually.

For more information on the xl driver, type man xl.

Cliff