Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:56:00 +0000
From:      Olafur Osvaldsson <oli@isnic.is>
To:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP/CVSup mirror?

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Brian Reichert wrote:

> I've pored over the -hub archives, and the newly-added Mirroring FreeBSD
> guide at
>
>   <http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/hubs/index.html>;
>
> but have a question still:
>
> I'm running an interal CVSup mirror of -CURRENT (via the cvsup-mirror-1.2
> port).
>
> Is there a recipe for tranforming my CVSup mirror into an FTP
> mirror?  I want to use this mirror for internal FTP installs...

No way of transforming, but setting up a ftp mirror isn't that hard.
You should _never_ mirror from ftp.freebsd.org, instead choose from
ftp*.<country-code>.freebsd.org or one of the ftp2-14.freebsd.org tier1
mirrors.
If you were in Iceland then you would use ftp1.is.freebsd.org, but in the us I
think you should use one of the ftp2-14 mirrors, I don't know why there isn't
a us.freebsd.org domain, but they seem to put those right under freebsd.org

When you have chosen a server you should see what methods that server supports
or move to the second best if that one has services the first one doesn't.
I use cvsup against the master, but you shouldn't get access to the master
for an internal mirror.
I think the common practise is to use rsync for mirroring.

It is always best to ask the admin of the server you intend to mirror from,
_before_ you start pulling from it, not everyone is ready to handle many
mirrors pulling from them.

> All my research so far implies that CVSup and FTP mirrors are two
> completely seprate efforts, that seemingly are to separate trees,
> and two sets of bandwidth usage.

This is true.

Hope I was of some help.

				Oli