Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help needed - tuning a filesystem for rm and cp ? (MORE)

Some more information on my question...

The directories on the single mount point that I am
referring to are varied in depth and density - but
some of them have as many as a few million inodes in
them and can go 5-10 levels deep.

But that is not a rule - it is a large multi-user
system (think old school shell server) with hundreds
of users that can populate their home directories with
anything they want.  The only thing I can say for sure
is that I am using 2.5 TB of space (out of 8 TB) and
am using 23.8 million inodes.

So it's not that dense with inodes at all, but there
is no telling how even a distribution that is - a
cp/rm target might not be represented well by the
average (ie. they might be very sparse or very dense)

So again, all is well, but I have these long 'cp' and
'rm' processes that I would like to speed up, if
possible.

All else being equal, how do you optimize a system for
copying from one place to another on the same mount
point ?  How do you optimize a system for fast file
deletion ?  Are the two mutually exclusive ?

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?