Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 07:41:12 -0400
From:      <wilson@VNET.IBM.COM>(Jeff Wilson)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing using AdvanSys SCSI

I'm having problems trying to install FreeBSD 3.1 from CD.

I must admit that I am a SCSI novice, so I may have
set it up incorrectly.  There may also be a problem with the
controller card.

Configuration:

Tyan Tomcat II Motherboard
Pentium 133
32 MB RAM

AdvanSys PCI SCSI Controller ABP-930/40U
  Narrow Ultra SCSI (device #7)

NEC SCSI CD-ROM (16X) (device #1) (terminator jumper set)

Seagate ST15230WC (Hawk 4) SCSI Hard Drive (4 GB) (device #0)

Messages on installation menus:

Unable to swap to /dev/da0s2b: Invalid argument

Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rda0s2a
Command retunred status 1

Couldn't make filesystes properly.  Aborting.

Messages on virtual console 2:

DEBUG: Found a disk device named da0
DEBUG: Found a DOS partition da0s1 on drive da0
da0: cannot find label (disk label corrupted)
 (more of these same messages)
DEBUG: Scanning disk da0 for root filesystem
DEBUG: Scanning disk da0 for swap partitions
DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype -
newfs: /dev/rda0s2a: Invalid argument

Is there a problem with my hardware, or did I do something stupid?

Jeff Wilson
wilson@vnet.ibm.com