Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 14:31:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.7.1

On Sun, 24 Dec 1995, Jake Hamby wrote:

> > Surely as you suggest most people who are in need of the latest version
> > of a gcc or whatever can probably compile it themselves, but it
> > takes a lot of time and effort to make sure its installed prpoperly
> > and working properly, especially to test the c++ installation because
> > you can't do the 2 or 3 stage build/compare with it.  It would be nice
> > to at least see a set of difss or a package for libg++ and recent versions
> > of gcc, this is my point.  I can contribute what I've done, but who knows
> > if I've done it right.  If there is one unified version, then everyone who
> > finds problems can contribute them and the GNU team will be better notified
> > of FreeBSD diffs.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly!  The main reason to upgrade GCC is the vastly
> improved C++ support (but be sure to upgrade libg++ along with it).  It
> pays for FreeBSD to keep current on GCC, or we will fall into the trap of
> NetBSD, who (I believe) only recently upgrade to GCC 2.7.x from their old
> hacked 2.4.5.  Also, it takes a certain amount of effort to modify GCC to
> fit into the /usr/libexec tree, which many people (at least myself) are
> not willing to do.  Any comment on this from the core team?

I know some hacking was done on the stuff in /usr/src/lib/csu/i386 to get
the c++ startup stuff to correctly initialize global classes.  I don't
know enough about the internals of gcc, or rather libg++, but I feel
certain that this newer code will have to be called to make c++ code work
correctly under FreeBSD.  Would that mean that the gcc-2.7.2 code would
have to be modified, or just to force it to use our present libc?

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;