Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:51:03 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can freebsd work with IBM PC Server 325?

Mike Grommet <mgrommet@insolwwb.net> wrote:

> Hi guys... one of the auction sites has a steal on ibm pc server 325's
> and we are needing to upgrade several web servers...
> however, we need to make sure we can use freebsd with them...
>
> They have an on board adaptec 7880, which is supported from what I have
> read,
> but I am unsure of the darn PCI 10/100 ethernet card which is onboard...
>
> anyone using freebsd and a pc server 325?

***

For what I have seen, IBM has only Intel chip based networking ( Etherexpress
Pro 100/+/B ) or AMD PCNet based onboard ( lnc ). The better way is to boot
the machine with corresponding floppy, I suggest using one from the latest
BETA. I have several IBM PC-servers lying around, but I'm sad I never got a
chance to try them under FreeBSD, they run LoseNT, blaah.

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee