Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:41:40 +0400
From:      Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

Hello.

2012/07/12 13:19:56 -0400 Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> => To Kaya Saman :
LG> URLs as well as FTP. For ones that aren't, (and assuming the rather
LG> silly security policies won't allow for an external web-based FTP proxy)
LG> you may need to bring them in by offline media.

I believe there should be the way of using the passive ftp (and any other
protocol) via the HTTP CONNECT method to the ftp (or any other port needed for
other protocol/app) port and then handling the both control and data
connections through the consequent copmmands and data exhange.

As far as I remember this can be done at least via the http://delegate.org
software, certainly available in the ports collection.

Kaya, if your http proxy handles HTTP CONNECT to the port 21/ftp this can be
the workaround for you about the freebsd ports requiring ftp download ability.

Most surprise for me is why no one is interested about what kind of a danger
the ftp protocol can ever be? i. e. skype is much more vicious in comparison to
ftp and s much harder to be restricted by a packet filter if even possoible.

--
Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org> (http://vereshagin.org) pgp: A0E26627