Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:50:14 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

In message <200006201936.MAA88247@apollo.backplane.com> Matthew Dillon writes:
:     This means that SP builds are going to be unstable for a while, not
:     just MP builds, as we work out the issues.  I am fairly confident that
:     I can produce a stable set of changes in the first patch set, but
:     the fact of the matter is that much of the work is going to entail
:     ripping out the SPL compatibility mechanisms one at a time and replacing
:     them with mutexes.  This will be an ongoing process over the next 6
:     months and that means that -current is going to be less stable for
:     the entire time -- for both the SP and MP builds.

It sounds like there will be a large step function of instability that
will be introduced right away.  Then, over time, thigns will become
more or less stable as the work progresses.  Some days will be good
tree days, others bad.  So long as I can boot my laptop with -current
to do pccard work (which means it must last 15 minutes of light usage,
ideally more), then it meets my lower bounds of acceptible.  It would
be nice if I could also build kernels and such on my laptop during
that time as well, but that isn't as critical to me since I can reboot
with the older kernel.  There's some pain, but on the whole it would
be workable if I can do these things.

I know that it is hard, but can you characterize the level of
instability that I'd see on a regular basis?  Where in the continum of
"we talking uptimes of 1 minute or less" to "don't put this into
production" do you see things most of the time?

Warner