Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:00:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems booting an AS1200

--------------Boundary-00=_NLJR2PC3LIFNTT4D7TH0

> The 1200 is part of the "rawhide" family of machines.  Our
> bootloader provokes bugs in the console firmware of the rawhide
> (or vice versa) and prevents the machine from booting FreeBSD via
> floppy or CD-ROM devices.

Has anyone narrowed these bugs down so we know exactly what the
problem is? Is it reasonable to expect a workaround, or is this
simply not possible?

> One workaround is to dd the contents of the boot.flp (2.8MB)
> floppy to a scsi disk and boot from that.

If I do this, can I actually install over that drive, or is it not
loaded into a memory disk?

> Your situation is slightly more complex because you have an
> Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller.  I don't think the SRM console will
> boot from that device (though FreeBSD supports it).  It will only
> boot from drives listed by the ">>>show dev" command.  Controllers
> which should work include Qlogic and NCR/LSI/SYMbios controllers.

So I see. I guess I will switch it around so the hard drives run from
the onboard controller and the CD-Rom runs from the adaptec. I don't
know why they set it up this way...

> I strongly suggest you do not run 5.0 on this box right now.

Why is that and what is wrong with 5.0?

-Michael