Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Clark II <gclarkii>
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, jaitken@husky.cs.vt.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel configuration/compilation tool

> In message <Pine.BSI.3.91.950728082658.23040M-100000@aries>, Brian Tao writes:
> >    First and foremost, the util should consult some sort of database
> >file that lists available options, valid argument lists and
> >dependencies.  This will allow other people to write different front-
> >ends.  I would like to try my hand at Tcl/Tk programming, so that
> >would make it an X application.  Someone else could try writing one
> >using libdialog and a third person could put together a Web/CGI
> >interface.  That last one intrigues me... put up a "FreeBSD Kernel
> >Drive-Thru" page where you select config options via a forms
> >interface, then after some waiting, a new kernel is presented to you
> >for downloading.
>
> P.S. Sudden after-thought - it'd have to be platform independant also...
>      i.e. not be i386-centric in the files it generates...
>
> Gary

Hi,

At one time I had crude one for 1.X that was in the contrib directory.
I've been slowly re-working it here to add that database and such.
How about a pre-processer that takes a LINT config file and generates
 a basic input file that can be used as input.

Gary (The Other One)

--
Gary Clark II   (N5VMF)     |          FreeBSD support and service
gclarkii@FreeBSD.ORG        |     mail info@gbdata.com for information