Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2018 20:24:28 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUJ - turn off for SSDs?

On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 18:56:57 -0000 (UTC), Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>Why would you want to turn off journaling on SSDs?

Because idiots guess that it's useful to decrease the write cycles, to
increase the lifespan of SSDs? I migrated to SSDs only internal my
tower desktop PC and just use external HDDs for backups. However, I
treat my internal SSDs the same way as I treated my internal HDDs. I
want to use my computer as a tool, without warpping any part of it in
cotton wool. It already is bad enough, that I can't handle my LCD that
rough as I could handl my CRTs. Don't watch too long at your LCD
screen, since it could cause visable scratches. Sorry, actually I need
to take a look very often and very long on my LCD screen and I also
want to use any file system with or without journaling and any kind of
work-flow when using a SSD. The only compromise I'm willng to do is
cleaning my LCD display at full moon nights only, with microfibre cloth
and destilated water only, instead of using the sandblaster I could use
withou any side effects to clean my CRTs at any daytime and at half
moon as well as full moon.