Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:52:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: revision diffs

> > I posted this morning about a problem with df and mount, but I didn't see
> > it show up (to current).  Did anyone else see that ?
>
> Yes, yes! :-)
>
> It seems only very few people are running 3.0-current, after John has
> scared them all off. ;-)  This particular problem has been reported at
> least three times, but nobody so far stepped forward to post a fix,
> nor did anybody with commit power commit a fix either...
>
> ISTR that Chuck Robey's on the list of committers, hint, hint... :-]

The fix is to change the mount arguments to by value rather than by
reference (make "data" an arglist pointer instead of a caddr_t), and
change out the use of manifest constants in the call (make "type" a
const char * instead of an int).

The "mount" command should break out the ffs mounting, just like the
other FS's.  There should be a /sbin/fs directory, and the type
specific mounts should go there.  The mount command should reference
the right one using the "-T" argument (if it even cares any more;
the varradic argument passing should allow paramter recognition in the
kernel, if necessary, and all FS's could use common code for this).

The mounts themselves should return non-fatal failures for unrecognized
FS types for root.  This would allow iteratively going through FS types
known to the kernel at boot time to say "can you mount this?".  This
would be *very* useful for "umsdosfs" type functionality.

This implies an interface for VFS_CANMOUNT() or something similar, if
the recognition code is split from the mount code.

The implication here is that mounts can all share the same code for
NFS export recognition and for vnode overlay (currently, we duplicate
code in every FS.  I guess we are just stupid).

The proc root for chroot should be initialized to be the vnode for the
root fs (instead of using a "magic cookie" of NULL to determine this
-- it will also simplify and speed up code several places, like in
namei()).

Finally, the mount list should be seperate from the vnode covering
list, such that there is no distinction at the FS layer between root
and non-root mount, further simplifying the per FS mount/root mount
code, and cleaning up a number of code inheritance errors in LFS and
other FS's which are unable to act as root FS's because the duplicate
code has not been duplicated for them.

Could someone with commit priviledges take care of this for us?

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---