Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:12:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ken@plutotech.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: parity errors

 * 	I agree, you should see some sort of error.  I had some ram trouble
 * on one of my machines (ASUS P/I-XP6NP5 MB), and I got a message that
 * specifically said "ram parity error".  It must have been from
 * /sys/i386/isa/intr_machdep.c.  (I grepped for "parity error")

Oh, I see.  (That code is in "isa/isa.c" in 2.2, by the way.)

 * 	I'm not so sure you'd get any NMI messages unless you have
 * parity checking turned on.  If that doesn't work, try turning on ECC
 * support.

ECC is error correction, so the motherboard will interrupt only if
it's not correctable (two bits of error?).  That is why I'm testing
stuff now with parity on.

 * 	I would put the SIMMs in the machine two at a time and swap them
 * around until you isolate the bad SIMMs.  Of course that'll take a while, I
 * imagine, with a make world test.  One test that I used that worked
 * sometimes was to crank up a ton of xv processes with big pictures -- enough
 * to eat up all the ram and some of the swap.   That usually had the effect
 * of crashing the machine with a "RAM parity error".  Of course you'd want to
 * display the xv processes on a remote machine so you catch the panic
 * message.

Thanks for the advice, I opened up some more xv's and now the system
is finally swapping.  The make world is still running happily, though.

Satoshi